The following list items are a short description of some of the items that we have related to Marranos. These are available for browsing at Casa Shalom, Yavneh.(in the following, an asterisk * denotes that personal testimonies are also held)
We are sorry that at the moment the publications we have are not available on the web. They are being transferred, but in the mean time, you can request publications (and perhaps at the same time join us in your support).
- General and Anglo-Jewish History
- 1st.edition Jewish Encyclopaedia and other sets. of early and modern Encyclopaedias
- *Research papers and photos of the late Rabbi Abraham Chaitowitz, recipient of the first United Synagogue (UK) Sir Robert Waley- Cohen Memorial Travelling Scholarship Prize in 1973.These papers include much material concerning findings in Churches and Monasteries on the Spanish mainland as well as Majorca.
- Bevis Marks, Records of Births Marriages & Deaths from inception of the Congregation of Spanish and Portuguese Jews in London from 1660 until 1901.
- Transactions and index of the Jewish Historical Society of England.
- Extensive Anglo-Jewish and Colonial books and Archival material, including hitherto unknown Jewish settlement in town of Banbury, UK.
- ALL FIGHTERS (JEWISH ) WORLD-WIDE AGAINST FACISM IN THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR INC. LINCOLN BRIGADE.
- *Jews in the International Brigade against Franco
Study by Martin Sugarman [Martin.Sugarman@westking.ac.uk], 200 pages of names of Jews who were in the International Brigade against Franco in Spain with a four page introduction on how it was carried out; divided by nations, alphabetically. Available from Gloria Mound, or from the author (requested donation to AJEX musem). For more details click AJEX web site.
- *Marrano families in New Orleans.
- *Florida Papers relating to early settlers and most important items relating to the Minorcan Immigration, Jewish practices, including details on persons who later left for Cuba and other places in the Caribbean/Cuban Mss re families.
||*The Jewish Nation of the Caribbean, by Mordechai Arbell. An exploration of the fascinating individual histories of 14 Jewish communities in the Caribbean. For more details click here
- The Spanish Portuguese Jewish Settlements in the Caribbean & the Guianas
- We also hold several testimonies about Crypt-Jewish practices in the S.W part of the USA and Puerto Rico.
- Mainland Spain.and Canary Islands/Maderia
- *Lucian Wolf and Haim Beinart's works on the Jews of the Canary Islands.
- *Jews and secret practices ,persecution ,Inquisition, Food etc.
- *Papers relating to Jews in the Canary Islands/Cape Verde etc.,both past and present.
- *Holocaust Studies in relation to Spain, Portugal, Libya and Marranos in this period.
- *Statements from Marrano families.
- Balearic Islands
- Copies of Jewish Land Sales and disputes prior to the official dissolution of the Jewish Community in 1435, from the Santa Clara Convent . (Partly in Hebrew) Palma de Majorca.
- Movements of secret Jews from Majorca to Salonika.
- * Lives and ritual amongst the local secret Jews in Majorca known as Chuetas.
- *Minorca Genealogy files, showing links to New Zealand and USA families
- Copies of old Ketuboth.of Palma-De-Majorca.
- Copies of 14 pieces comprising 85% of a total 14th.century. Megilla Esther,now being restored by Spanish Government.
- *Balearic Periodicals/newspapers/old films/photos inc. Freemasonry/guide books.
- *Walter Benjamin's , Raoul Hausman's , Elliot Paul's sojourns in Ibiza 1932-36. Activities of the Nazis in Majorca and Ibiza both pre- Spanish Civil War and post WWII.
- *Information and works pertaining to the life of Baram an Israeli painter and his artist wife Bella Brisel during their lives in Formentera in the 1950s-60s and 70s. Baram received the first officially permitted Jewish Burial in the Pitiuses Islands for 500 years. Later buried on the Mount of Olives Jerusalem.
- *Works of Isadoro Macabich Llobet./ Juan Mari Cardona prime historians of Ibiza and Formentera.
- *Papers relating to Prince Luis Salvador of Hapsburg's life (1847-1915) and works on the Balearic Islands, and many other places he visited and had homes. In all his travels he paid particular attention to a country's Flora and Fauna. Records of his finding of secret Jews in Ibiza. His unusual and somewhat bizarre friendship with Nathanial Von Rothschild of Vienna.
- Copies of 17 Letters by Rothschild to the Prinz. etc.
- Works of Nito Verdera and Rafel Bauza Socias and their theses that Columbus came from the Balearic Islands and was a secret Jew.
- * We hold Slides, Cassettes.Films.,photos on most of the above subjects, including a number from pre-Spanish Civil War in 1936.
- *Photos and Testimonies of Republican bombing of the Battleship Deutschland in Ibiza harbour in 1937.
- *Papers of family of Chief Rabbi of Bulgaria, Rabbi Moritz Grunwald, who was selected to be Chief Rabbi of the UK in 1892, but never took office because during the visit he succumbed to the flu and died. His son and grandchildren lead secret Jewish lives in Ibiza from 1932 until modern times.
- Archival material on the Islands of Sao Tome Y Principe, including some from Inquisition Archives in Lisbon relating to the sending of 2000 Jewish children to the Islands a slaves in 1493 and the residue of Jewish customs still remaining.
- Information on past and present Portuguese Communities, both open and secret
Please click the following membership link to get a form for requesting a publication (and also for membership).